Sub? Hero? Hoagie? Grinder? Some places specialize in the sandwich. Others offer up new takes on classic preparations. Whether it’s lunch, bar food, or a late night snack, NYC is home to more better sandwiches than any city on earth. There are so many awesome sandwiches here that I had to make it a top 10 (and also make a different chicken sandwich list)! Here are my favorites:
- Braised Short Rib Sandwich, Il Buco Alimentari & Vineria [braised short rib with peppery crust, gorgonzola sauce, carmelized onion, on baguette]
- Fried Duck Bologna Sandwich, Momofuku Ssam Bar [fried duck bologna, carmelized onions, pickle relish, and provolone]
- The Horseshoe, Smith & Wollensky [spice marinated filet tips, sauted onions, velveeta cheese on garlic butter grilled lobster roll bread]
- Porchetta Panini, Maialino[porchetta, broccoli rabe, and provolone on ciabatta with pork cracklins and arugula on the side]
- Porchetta Sandwich, Il Buco Alimentari & Vinera [classic porchetta, some crispy pig skin, and arugula on a hard roll
- Saratoga Club, Parm [chicken salad, thyme-infused smoked bacon, tomato, lettuce and potato chips on crustless toasted white bread]
- The steak and cheese sandwich, Pastis [a crusty roll, sliced steak melted cheese and frisee, served with amazing frites on a wood platter]
- Porchetta Breafast Sandwich, Maialino [porchetta and fried egg…best way to start the day!]
- The Mish Mash, Mile End Deli [scrambled eggs with salami on an onion roll]
- Cheesesteak With, Shorty’s [classic Philly cheesesteak with Wiz and fried onions on Amoroso roll]
I did not include my top Chicken Sandwiches on this list. Check them out here.
So I did not include a classic NYC deli sandwich. Maybe I should have. Maybe I will. In any event, if you are craving pastrami or corned beef on rye, try Katz’s.