If I lived in Chicago, I would be here all the time…and I be double my weight. My visits to Chicago will always include a stop at the Publican.
Brought to you by the same folks who own Blackbird and Avec, this place is different and refreshing. Designed as one would expect a contemporary Belgium pub, with aggressive, fresh (ever-changing menu) food.
- Elmer T. Lee bourbon on the rocks
- Tasting of 3 U.S. hams with goat butter
- Stir-fried broccoli with ricotta salata and sliced green olives
- Brussells Sprouts with pork belly
- Porchetta (pork loin wrapped by pork shoulder) on cous cous
- Wagyu Sirloin (so good we had to order 2)
- Boudin blanc
- Half roast chicken (with frites and two fried eggs)
- Egg custard with Orgeon black trumpet mushroom and black truffles
- Some Hard Cider to wash it all down
- Chocolate Souffle
- Waffle with butter and berries
- Cream infused Limoncello
Everything was terrific, with great use of spices. The waiter mentioned that as soon as you fall in love with one of the items, it comes off the menu (given the reliance on fresh ingredients). Thankfully, removed items are replaced with equally great dishes…requiring you visit The Publican often!